Sunday, January 17, 2010

Normalcy, Nesting, and Postpartum Politics

It's been a few days, and for that I apologize. My laptop won't work unless it's plugged in... and my wife needed the outlet for her heating pad! If you've ever tried to tell a pregnant woman, "I'm sorry, honey, but I need to plug in my laptop. If you want to use the heating pad, you'll have to find another spot in the house," you're a braver man than I am.

My wife says to me the other day, "I don't think we're normal." I said, "I know, but what's on your mind?" She says, "Well, we're not having this big family squabble over who gets to be in the delivery room. Most people I know have a squabble about it, or at least have a pretty intense discussion. I don't want a bunch of people in there with me; I just want you to in there, and it seems that the trend these days is to have as many people as they'll allow you to have." So, we've decided we're just not normal. Further evidence that we're not normal: we don't publicize all the private details of her progress.

Along those same lines, we had a very short discussion about something I can only call "postpartum politics." She was all worried about people coming into the room after she has the baby and feeling like we have to entertain them, etc. I just told her, "Don't worry about it. I'll handle it." And that was that. It's good to know my wife trusts me when I tell her I'll handle something.

Now, the nesting part. The "nesting instinct" is something they told us about when we went for our class at the hospital. Apparently, it's a distinctive urge to clean, tidy, and organize that occurs during pregnancy, especially as you get closer to the end of term. My wife says she's not sure if she has it, but I respectfully disagree. I know firsthand that it came out yesterday. However, I was under the impression that a woman's nesting instinct was just that: a WOMAN'S nesting instinct. Boy, was I wrong! It's not just HER urge to clean, tidy, and organize. It's also her urge for ME to clean, tidy, and organize. Who knew?

To wrap it up, we've got the house as ready as we think we can get it. Now, all we need is our baby girl to come along and show us how un-ready we really are.

1 comment:

  1. I love it!! I agree - when I have a baby it will only be me and the husband... no parents from either side and or friends. It's a special moment only for the parents and their new bundle of "joy." I've said quite a few times that I don't want anyone to know we are there until after the baby is here and I've had a few hours to rest... however, since we are in mdn... I don't imagine that will heppen. Nosey folks will call the grandparents. I'm sure of it!

    ReplyDelete